It is the policy of Save the Mothers that its employees and board members uphold the highest standards of ethical, professional behaviour. To that end, employees, volunteers and board members shall dedicate themselves to carrying out the mission of this organization and shall:
- Hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public in the performance of professional duties.
- Act in such a manner as to uphold and enhance personal and professional honour, integrity and the dignity of the organization.
- Treat with respect and consideration all persons, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, maternity, marital or family status, disability, age or national origin.
- Engage in carrying out the mission of Save the Mothers in a professional manner.
- Collaborate with and support fellow workers in carrying out Save the Mothers’ mission.
- Build professional reputations on the merit of services and refrain from competing unfairly with others.
- Recognize that the chief function of Save the Mothers at all times is to serve the best interests of its beneficiaries—mothers.
- Accept as a personal duty the responsibility to keep up to date on emerging issues and to conduct themselves with professional competence, fairness, impartiality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Respect the structure and responsibilities of the board of directors, provide them with facts and advice as a basis for their making policy decisions, and uphold and implement policies adopted by the board of directors.
- Keep the community informed about issues affecting it.
- Conduct organizational and operational duties with positive leadership exemplified by open communication, creativity, dedication, and compassion.
- Exercise whatever discretionary authority they have under the law to carry out the mission of the organization.
- Serve with respect, concern, courtesy, and responsiveness in carrying out the organization’s mission.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity, truthfulness, honesty, and fortitude in all activities in order to inspire confidence and trust in such activities.
- Avoid any interest or activity that is in conflict with the conduct of their official duties.
- Respect and protect privileged information to which they have access in the course of their official duties.
- Strive for personal and professional excellence and encourage the professional developments of others.
In addition, Save the Mothers will operate with an ‘open door’ policy (meaning that employees and others will be able to meet with senior staff within a reasonable time period). Employees and others may share their questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints with someone who can address them properly. Ordinarily, that person would be the employee’s supervisor. If the employee is not comfortable meeting with the supervisor, another person may be approached.