Save the Mothers is looking for 2 PROGRAM INTERNS for the 2018/19 academic year.
Description of intern:
This person will have completed an undergraduate degree (specialty not required) and have some experience in a work setting. They will be people-oriented with a willingness to work and learn in a cross-cultural environment. The appropriate person will have a strong interest in health issues in the developing world (and preferably maternal/child health). Many of the interns will go on to careers in development, public or maternal health care. The successful candidate must respect the values and beliefs held by both the Save the Mothers program and the Uganda Christian University.
The STM intern will report directly to the Director STM East Africa, but will work closely with the STM academic director and administrative assistant.
The appropriate candidate will have a strong mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the use of email/Internet searches. Other appropriate computer programs would be helpful (e.g. SPSS or EPI info) along with skills in social media. Photography is also an asset.
The intern will be on site in Uganda as of September 1, 2018 and until May 15, 2019 (or later). Interns are free to return home during the month of December if they wish (at their own cost).
- Ensure all audiovisual and technical requirements for STM classes are in place at the beginning of each class.
- Attempt to record and edit lectures given during the STM classes/modules (using supplied technology)
- Liaise with STM students and assist with the students’ acquisition of teaching resources including class notes, assistance with basic computer access/problems
- Organize class notes into permanent records for STM
- Carry out special research assignments as required, including Internet searches to garner necessary information/scientific papers.
- Assist in any special activities held by the STM program, including outreaches to the community/church/hospitals
- Liaise with the communications coordinator (STM Canada) to promote social media about safe motherhood issues in both Canada and East Africa
- Assist in the promotion of STM in both Canada and East Africa when possible
- Any other appropriate tasks as deemed necessary by the Director East Africa
The STM intern will be free to join any STM teaching session or activity that may benefit their personal knowledge or experience, including field trips to the community for sensitization.
The STM intern will be housed in an ‘apartment/flat’ on the campus of UCU. It is a basic arrangement with a kitchenette, private bedroom and sitting area. Wireless Internet is made available for the intern flat through the university’s system. A refrigerator, gas stove and basic kitchen ware are available for free use.
Save the Mothers international will support the intern with a $2000 stipend to be put towards their airfare or whatever is deemed appropriate. Interns are encouraged to raise support through friends/family which can go towards their costs while interning with STM. These donations are tax-receipt able.